Old December 1st 05, 09:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Phil Richards Phil Richards is offline

Default Seven Sisters This Morning

Paul Corfield wrote:

Contingency plan to walk to the WAGN station was only to be met with staff
who announced their station was also closed "at the request of the BTP"
despite the incident being on the Victoria Line and WAGN trains were
running through non stop. Any ideas why the BTP opted to close that too?

A guess but it is virtually impossible to stop people alighting from the
WAGN trains to head to the Tube regardless of how many announcements are
made [1]. Given that, IIRC, the WAGN station stairs and corridors are
not what you would call spacious there may have been concerns about
serious overcrowding in a confined space as people diverting from the
tube ran into the people heading off WAGN trains to the Tube. The other
issue is that the WAGN train frequency is not very high and having to
deal with lots of people waiting for the Tube to resume as well as
people fed up with waiting for a train may have caused concern.

Although I don't use Seven Sisters on a daily basis (Turnpike Lane is my
local station) this isn't the first time I've turned up to find the
Victoria Line closed including at least three times during the Piccadilly
Line closure back in the Summer. However I've never found the WAGN station
closed as well.

Seven Sisters is so busy that the local buses can overwhelmed very
quickly if the Tube ceases to run into town.

Absolutely and you couldn't get on a 259 or 279 towards Manor House, so a
long walk thus endured.

I may know more tomorrow when I see the daily report.

If you could let us know that'll be great.

The only alternative is that there was a crime of some sort in the
vicinity of the WAGN station.

Possible, but the Police activity seemed to be centred on the Victoria
Line. No sign of cordoning off the WAGN station entrance on Seven Sisters
Road. The exact words I got told at the WAGN station was closed was a
Police request and not overcrowding.

[1] I've seen this too many times at Walthamstow Central when the Vic
Line service has collapsed and everyone is trying to get to Liverpool
St.

One wonders how the lines into Liverpool Street ever coped pre-Victoria
line days.

--
Phil Richards
London, UK