Old December 3rd 05, 04:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Boltar Boltar is offline

Default "Tube cheapest in Europe"

It might be 5p to you and me, just like a bus ride in Bangkok is 5
baht, which is about 7p. However, the comparison isn't valid, as the
people of the country (including the drivers on said system) get paid a
lot less than typical British levels.

Who cares how much the drivers get paid, surely the comparison is how
cheap it is for the passengers? Ukraine wages are as far as I'm aware
very roughly 20% those of western europe for the same job.
So for a fair comparison multiple the Kiev metro fares by 4. So that'll
be
25p for a single. Still a damn site cheaper than anything london can
manage and the system is better run to boot.

B2003