Old December 5th 05, 03:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Underwood Martin Underwood is offline

Default NIP: Tower Bridge question

Colin Rosenstiel wrote in
:

In article . 170,
(Adrian) wrote:

Isn't it unladen weights that determine weight limits?

No. Normally weight restrictions are based on MAM - Maximum
Authorised Mass.

Which is what for a bendy?

Presumbly the unladen weight (16.5 T) plus the weight of all the passengers.
How many passengers does a bendy bus hold at maximum? I think the equivalent
figure for a double decker is about 70. Does a bendy hold more or fewer than
this? Allow an average weight of (say) 70 kg per passenger.

Do bendy buses actually use Tower Bridge? Has anyone seen one crossing? If
so, the weight must be within the permissible range - unless they make all
the passengers get off and walk across before getting back on at the other
side ;-)

As a matter of interest, when did the term "gross [vehicle] weight" mutate
into "maximum authorised mass"?

(Before any physics purists shoot me down in flames, I'm using "weight" in
the colloquial sense: I'm well aware that strictly speaking weight is
measured in newtons and mass in kilogrammes!)