Old December 7th 05, 04:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.local.thames-valley
Paul Weaver Paul Weaver is offline

Default Two commutes - suggestions for where to live ?

Graham Harrison wrote:
I have the dubious pleasure of driving J8/9 to J5 of the M4 every day. The
traffic going out of town may not be quite as bad as mine but it's not good.

Until a couple of weeks ago I drove M4 from Twyford, to 8/9, then down
the J1, along the A4 to hammersmith, then up to Shepherds Bush. By
train the journey took 1h10-1h30 door to door. By car it was 1h20-1h30.

Of course coming home at 22:00 or 23:30 it took 50 minutes by car
including come down from the 15th floor of the carpark.

My leaving times were generally
08:30 for 10AM
08:00 for 09:30
07:20 for 09:00 (didn't do this much)
06:00 for 07:00

Sure beats the 20 minute walk to the staiton, 10 minutes to get a
ticket (unless, about once a week, one of the ticket windows was
closed), 45 minutes to ealing, 5 minutes for the tube, 10 minutes on
the tube, 5 minutes to work. (Or, even with the fastest trains, 30
minutes to paddington, 10 minutes to the tube, 20 minutes on the tube,
5 minutes to work)