Old December 8th 05, 09:48 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.local.thames-valley
AstraVanMan AstraVanMan is offline

Default Two commutes - suggestions for where to live ?

Until a couple of weeks ago I drove M4 from Twyford, to 8/9, then down
the J1, along the A4 to hammersmith, then up to Shepherds Bush. By
train the journey took 1h10-1h30 door to door. By car it was 1h20-1h30.

It does show why there's so much congestion though - in a situation like
that there's very little benefit to getting the train. Though if I lived
somewhere like Twyford, I'd seriously consider living close to the station -
somewhere within 2-3 minutes' walk of the station. Ok, you've got the
noise, but there's double glazing, and IMHO it'd be outweighed by the
convenience of it.

Sure beats the 20 minute walk to the staiton, 10 minutes to get a
ticket (unless, about once a week, one of the ticket windows was
closed), 45 minutes to ealing, 5 minutes for the tube, 10 minutes on
the tube, 5 minutes to work. (Or, even with the fastest trains, 30
minutes to paddington, 10 minutes to the tube, 20 minutes on the tube,
5 minutes to work)

10 minutes to the tube at Paddington? You're talking Hammersmith + City
line right? Surely you be almost as well walking down to Lancaster Gate
tube station, wouldn't you? Only 3 stops from Shepherd's Bush (well 4 if
you count Queensway, but that's shut at the moment). And surely if you were
doing it regularly it'd be worth popping in at the weekend when quiet and
getting tickets in advance, no?

I see your point entirely though. It's a shame there's no quick service
from Twyford outside of the rush hour (or to Twyford at any time, I don't
think).

Called Pete? Join The Pete Collective NOW at www.thepetecollective.co.uk