Old December 12th 05, 11:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
David Bradley David Bradley is offline

Default Legal threats remove news reports from Unofficial Tramlink site

On 12 Dec 2005 01:20:04 -0800, "Mizter T" wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
[posted to uk.transport.london and uk.railway]

Stephen Parascandolo has removed the news section, including the
archive of old news, from his excellent unofficial Croydon Tramlink
website because he was - to quite him directly - "threatened with legal
action twice in a week on completely unrelated reports, one of them
published over 3 years ago".

You can read his full thoughts on the matter by going to this page:
http://tramlink.co.uk/news/index.shtml

For obvious reasons Stephen's words shed no direct light on what the
offending reports were nor who made the legal threats.

It is however distinctly sad news, as Stephen's site had become the de
facto chronicler of all the 'happenings' on and related to the Croydon
Tramlink system. I'm sure we can all sympathise with Stephen and his
decision given that the site is a hobby he operates in his spare time.
It is quite contemptible that some heavy handed flexing of the legal
muscles of large companies means popular websites such as Stephen's
have to suffer.

Having posted this story I have (only now) noticed it's been mentioned
here already, under the 'Tramlink Censorship' thread. On Stephen's site
he has "R.I.P - Latest News Service
6th April 1999 - 12th December 2005", which lead me to believe this was
something that'd happened this morning. On second inspection I see he's
dated his statement ' 6th December 2005'.

I think I was so incensed having found out what happened I didn't check
what I was doing first, I just posted. Apologies for the duplication.

There is a lot more information that has been provided to members of the
related Yahoo forum, even so, it is very doubtful that the News Section will
every appear again in the format that was so appreciated by very many tram
enthusiasts. Isn't it a sad reflection of life today in what is supposedly an
enviroment that we can ask questions on almost anything and have a right to a
response?

David Bradey