Old December 22nd 05, 01:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Ian Jelf Ian Jelf is offline

Default "Extra" buses

In message ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes
In article 34,
(David Jackman) wrote:

Ian Jelf wrote in
:

That said, I've not seen an official statement that the removal of
"via" points is being done for this reason. Can anyone else (Paul
C?) confirm or deny this?

I understand the argument against via points is that they are
confusing as the bus may already have gone past that point and/or
they may be listed in the wrong order.

It is a valid argument but I don't think it outweighs the usefulness
of via points to those with some elementary geographic knowledge.

I agree word for word and 100% with David's sentiments here.

Doesn't this discussion highlight the need for TfL to get itself into
the 21st century and start using electronic destination information like
the rest of the country? Then via points can be updated en route to
remove ones that have been passed.

Can be but invariably aren't. Furthermore, I don't feel that London
has much to learn from the rest of the country, where I frequently see
buses running around with no destinations or wrong ones. (An extreme
example I know but one oft he small operators here in the West Midlands
has been running a clapped out Dennis Dart around for ages now with the
destination "Rushden". Ahem!)

I also find electronic displays, even the newer, better ones, *much*
less easy to read than traditional ones. I also dislike the
"scrolling" effect (quite widely used in the West Midlands) as if you're
looking at a moving vehicle and have only a short time to read its
display it might be showing the less helpful bit of information for your
point of view (ie the destination).
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK