Old December 22nd 05, 09:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Chris Read Chris Read is offline

Default "Extra" buses

"Ian Jelf" wrote:

I also find electronic displays, even the newer, better ones, *much*
less easy to read than traditional ones. I also dislike the
"scrolling" effect (quite widely used in the West Midlands) as if you're
looking at a moving vehicle and have only a short time to read its
display it might be showing the less helpful bit of information for your
point of view (ie the destination).

Yes, scrolling displays are rarely acceptable. My pet hate is running up the
escalator at Fenchurch Street at 17:29, trying to remember if the 17:30
stops at Barking, to be faced with a VDU on screen 3 of 4, reminding me of
some engineering work at Thorpe Bay three weeks hence.

London Central had a few Titans with electronic displays, until they were
displaced by low floor buses. My recollection is that they were frequently
malfunctioning (the displays, not the Titans).

On the heritage 15, the Conductors amend the 'via points' before starting
each trip, such that they run in the correct order - so 'St Pauls, Fleet
Street, Aldwych' becomes 'Aldwych, Fleet Street, St Pauls'. Why was this not
done when the Routemasters were in regular service?

Chris