Old December 24th 05, 11:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Keith Spink Keith Spink is offline

Default Gatwick Fastway (Fantasy?)

| [** Hmm - excuse me - but what make a bus 'smart' if its painted silver
| and blue. I've heard of smart computers etc., but not smart buses.
| Perhaps they automatically kneel to help you get on board? And perhaps
| they wish you a happy Christmas (or whatever) at holiday time. I wonder
| if anyone has experienced a trip on this service. Are guided buses
| successful? But then aren't all buses 'guided' being steered by a human
| driver? Reminds me of the similar sounding pioneering 'busway' that
| used to serve the Millemium White Elephant - those buses were steered
| by human drivers too. So much for automation.]

Hmm, yes. I went for a ride on one of these buses. It was a nice bus.
Admittedly I only made one trip, but I did wonder if there was much point in
all the hype. The amount of actual guideway seems very minimal, and by the
time the driver moved into place to get us on to the guideway, seconds later
we were off it again. All seemed like hype to me...

--
Keith Spink
InfoTransport (http://www.infotransport.co.uk)