Old December 27th 05, 04:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Rupert Candy Rupert Candy is offline

Default West London Tram (and others)

Michael Johnson wrote:

I suspect the new tram-style bus in Edinburgh is intended to overcome
this attitude:

http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?...&id=2251042005

This looks like an attempt to introduce a bus service that has all the
perceived 'quality' of a tram...while, essentially, simply being a
bendy bus with covers over the wheels.

Has this bus actually entered service yet? Does anyone know how it's
doing?

It's had non-passenger carrying running trials in Bath and York IIRC
(both cities where First's buses are doing unusually well, and where
local authorities have been making encouraging noises about bus
priority measures). The interior is also as tram-like as possible
(though the intrusion of the wheels above the floor obviously restricts
this).

I would post a link to more photos, but the page seems to be broken:

http://www.firstgroup.com/ftr/pressenquiries/index.php

In fact, it's quite a lot like the Nancy tram-trolleybus I've mentioned
elsewhere on this thread, but without the clever bi-mode bit.