Old December 27th 05, 07:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london
Brimstone Brimstone is offline

Default Teenager dies 'playing' on hi-speed track out of Paddington

MIG wrote:
Graffiti and other vandalisms are crimes and generally despicable.
They are not capital offences.

Nobody ever said that they were, although the owner of a house whose
side wall has been 'tagged' three times in the last month might
disagree.

People trespassing on railway lines know that there are risks, but
that doesn't mean that they intend (or deserve) to die, any more
than people who cross roads.

Quite true & nobody here said that they should be, buts lets be
clear in most cases they brought the problems on thereselves.

People who are interested in railways have been ridiculed for years
(eg the term "trainspotter", for which there is no equivalent for
anyone interested in any other industry).

Well there is 'planespotters' but there has been no suggestion that
these people were enthusiasts.

Oh dear, been away too long to catch up, but my point was that railway
"enthusiasts" are so used to being ridiculed that this may be why they
feel satisfaction when their industry of interest kills someone who
didn't take it seriously enough.

Take what seriously?

I don't think that the people killed
were enthusiasts.

We don't know what they're enthusiastic about, if anything.

So we have a tendency to think "hey, our trains are well 'ard; we've
managed to kill another one; that'll show 'em that we ought to be
taken seriously".

Who said that?

I suggested that there was a tendency to think it, not that someone
said it.

The only person likely to think that seems to be you.

But I don't see why our pride in being interested in an industry
which involves dangerous machinery should make us quite so gleeful
about people getting killed by that machinery. I don't think it
happens in other industries.

Please show me a gleeful post in this thread.

"Simon" seems to have done that admirably already.

If you think that then you really do have problems with comprehension.