Old January 2nd 06, 09:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] casparreed@yahoo2.co.uk is offline

Default New Years Eve - Thank You!

Brimstone wrote:
" wrote in message
oups.com...

snipped

OK, but how will the knowledge benefit you?

Interesting point. Knowledge must have a benefit before it is sought.
That would pretty much rule out a lot of pure scientific research. I
remember a lecturer from 30 years ago who answered that same question
with knowledge is an end unto itself. If you start assigning
costs/benefits to knowledge, it becomes reductive.

Though, I wouldn't equate the knowledge of the recent research
supporting evolution to that of a train driver's salary, it does help
people compare and contrast various professions and how our society
does reward them. Which clearly draws out the values that a society
lives by.

If your question had been simply about how much an LU train drivers earns
per year I could have understood it. It was the level of detail regarding
payment for a single shift that I couldn't work out.

But, you see that's the whole point! New Years Eve is a single event,
momentous for so many people, in the past and present. It signifies so
much.

Anyway, I've devoted enough time to this topic and it appears to be an
extremely sensitive topic for all "tube" staff, for "Steve Fitzgerald",
etc.