Old January 3rd 06, 05:22 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
Adrian Auer-Hudson Adrian Auer-Hudson is offline

Default Gerrards Cross - compensation refused

My Clockuments wrote:
Interesting responses, even though I don't agree with them all.

Just one thing though. A few people are implying that I thought I was
getting a long-term financial saving over other commuters when I bought
the cheaper travelcard; not true. When I asked for a Wycombe travelcard
I was ADVISED to buy the Amersham one; I would have assumed other
passengers would receive the same advice - why wouldn't they? This card
renewal was mid-July, by which time the compensation issue had been
discussed in the national press for a couple of weeks already - though
any actual amounts had not been published by Chiltern Rail at that
point - so we were all pretty sure we'd get adequately compensated
later. I figured the compensation would be well above my £50 saving
and this would be factored in (ie deducted). No way would I have
risked losing compensation if I'd thought that taking this advice would
result in that happening. The £50 difference was pretty meaningless to
me financially at the time, but as mentioned, I was ADVISED to buy it -
I didn't ask about it myself. So I don't understand all this "having
your cake and eating it" thing.

This wasn't some scam whereby commuters merrily rubbed their hands at
an unwarranted payout - this was an incident that totally disrupted
several weeks in the Summer for thousands of people.

There's certainly some organisations I would happily rip-off due to
appalling goods and service received - Tesco being a prime example.

Chiltern Rail do not fit this category though - I've always praised
them before this issue and was supportive during the issue - not their
fault Tesco used a faulty construction method in the first place. I
still think they're one of the best rail providers, despite my anger
over this issue.

You have my sympathy. And, until now I thought Chiltern were a better
company than this. I had viewed them as customer focussed. They have
certainly dropped the ball in your case.

Just the same, I doubt this is worth fighting. even to attend small
claims you would have to take time off. Just write it off to the cost
life's ongoing education.

Adrian.