Old January 3rd 06, 08:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Beano Beano is offline

Default New fares and Oyster

I"Berenger" wrote in message
On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 16:47 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

For those who remember the thread about the new fare structure penalising
outsiders and TOC passengers I discovered an unanticipated further factor
at East Putney this morning.

Last year I bought only two tube singles, the two I had bought to date
when the thread was going. This morning I had to buy a £3 single because I
had to stay in London last night (to meet my aged mother at Heathrow). It
probably won't happen again all year so no thought of buying an Oyster
card.

When I got to East Putney station shortly after 8:30 this morning I was
glad of my decision. The only way top buy a ticket without a massive queue
was from one of three simple cash-only machines with just two people at
them. The queue (combined) for the ticket windows and Oyster capable
machine was almost down to the Upper Richmond Road.

I bought an Oyster card at East Putney this morning but not from the
station. By the time I got to it (10:45am) the ticket office was
closed. So I went to a newsagent nearly opposite (about 50yd towards
Putney High Street) and got one in there whilst having a pleasant chat
to the owner.

If a supermarket put the price of bread up by 50% there would be uproar. A
zone one single ticket has gone from £2 to £3. This is will rip off tourists
and occasional tube users. Surely you can see this is extortionate.