Old January 4th 06, 12:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london
asdf asdf is offline

Default Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard?

On 3 Jan 2006 11:43:50 -0800, "
wrote:

TKD, sorry, I meant Olympia!

I don't know why pre-pay can't be used on NR between West Brompton and
Olympia. Tube paper singles are valid. I wonder what makes the NLL/WLL
"special" compared to all the other NR routes where Tube singles are
valid (where pre-pay is almost always valid too).

Richard, I am confused. If I had a Zone 1 and 2 annual Travelcard, and
converted it to Oyster,

I don't believe you can "convert" a ticket in this way...

On a different issue, supposing I had Oyster prepay to entitle me to
travel between Tottenham Hale and Seven Sisters, but boarded a NR
instead of Underground train and decided to get off at an intermediate
station, what would happen?

It's at least arguable that you could legally travel from Tottenham
Hale to Liverpool Street, then take another train from there to Seven
Sisters (assuming you can do that without going through the barriers
at Liverpool St), using pre-pay. However, it's explicity not valid at
intermediate stations (between Liverpool Street and Tottenham
Hale/Seven Sisters).

What, if any, "penalty" would I have to pay upon exit?

You could expect to pay a Penalty Fare if tickets are being inspected
at the station you leave through. Also, you wouldn't be able to "touch
out" and complete the pre-pay journey, so you might also be charged a
penalty for the unresolved journey (it was mentioned in this group
some time ago that TfL intended to make this charge equivalent to the
full Z1-6 pre-pay fare, though there have been no reports of this
actually being imposed yet).

Could I really be penalised for SHORTENING my journey?

It will no doubt enrage you to learn that if you get on at Liverpool
Street but don't travel all the way to Seven Sisters/Tottenham
Hale/Walthamstow, a £5.00 penalty is automatically deduced from your
pre-pay balance.