Old September 12th 03, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
AstraVanMan AstraVanMan is offline

Default Enfield to Putney - which route?

at Enfield Lock station, and down the A1055
(Mollison Avenue / Meridian Way) to the North Circular,
which wasn't too bad. Then around the North Circular to
the A13,

Bzzzt! Perhaps you are using an old map... there is now a grade-separated
dual carriageway from Redbridge to Poplar called the A12. It is much

faster
than the route you took, especially since there is a plethora of road

works
on the A13 between Poplar and Dagenham.

Yes, and out of rush hour it's fine, but when I passed the junction the
queues to get off the North Circular onto the A12 were very long (couldn't
say how long, but at least half a mile), plus the massive queues approaching
the Blackwall Tunnel (according to the traffic reports they were tailing
back to Old Ford at that point), then I considered the route I took to be
the lesser of two evils.

I did the same journey a few days back, earlier on in the day, and was a bit
worried about the queuing onto the A12, but risked it anyway, it was fine -
not more than about 5-6 cars in each lane.

I did wonder though, if it might be a worthwhile shortcut to come off the
North Circular at Waterworks Corner onto the A104 Woodford New Road / Lea
Bridge Road, and then along A114 Whipps Cross Road to join the A12 at the
Green Man roundabout - does anyone know what this is like in the evening
rush hour?

And FWIW, the only major queuing I encountered on the A13 was going over the
Canning Town flyover, which was presumably mainly due to queuing for the
Blackwall Tunnel, combined with the fact that the East India Dock Tunnel is
closed.

Peter