Old September 12th 03, 06:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Good evening ladies and gentlemen

Robin Mayes wrote:
Surprised this already hasn't come up.

The end of last week, we were all told that we had to precede P.A.
messages with "Good (morning / afternoon / evening) ladies and
gentlemen". By Monday it was reduced to "Ladies and gentlemen".

How do you feel about this? Do you think it's a tad Americanised?

This sort of regimentation is bad. By all means have standards, but one of
the standards should be that the format should vary. I think it's pleasant
to hear "Good morning, ladies and gentlemen" occasionally, but not every
couple of minutes.

Do you consider yourself customers or passengers?

Both. I've never quite understood what is meant to be good or bad about the
use of these terms. Why do some people object to being called a customer by
LU, when presumably they have no objection to, say, Selfridges using that
term if they are shopping there?

--
Richard J.