Old January 5th 06, 07:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Clive D. W. Feather Clive D. W. Feather is offline

Default Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard?

In article , Paul Corfield
writes
You're obviously entitled to your view about privacy but I have no real
issue about that information being captured by TfL. Perhaps that's
because I know how the system was designed and partly because I work for
TfL and can't see how they can use the information in some malign way.

The problem isn't so much TfL themselves, as others.

TfL are required to hand that information to the police if demanded. I
think (this not being an electronic communications system under RIPA)
that it requires a PACE order. [If this were an ECS, there's different
paperwork a long collection of other people, from MI6 down to the Royal
Mail (but not the Egg Marketing Board), also entitled to ask.]

PC Plod thinks that his wife is having an affair. Under pretext of some
investigation, he demands details of all Oysters touching out at his
local station between 10:00 and 11:00 one day, then looks through them
for likely "suspects". Similar things have been done with the DVLA
records, so please don't tell me it's impossible.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: