Old January 5th 06, 01:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Ian Jelf Ian Jelf is offline

Default Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard?

In message , Clive D. W. Feather
writes
TfL are required to hand that information to the police if demanded. I
think (this not being an electronic communications system under RIPA)
that it requires a PACE order. [If this were an ECS, there's different
paperwork a long collection of other people, from MI6 down to the Royal
Mail (but not the Egg Marketing Board),

That's a relief!

also entitled to ask.]

PC Plod thinks that his wife is having an affair. Under pretext of some
investigation, he demands details of all Oysters touching out at his
local station between 10:00 and 11:00 one day, then looks through them
for likely "suspects". Similar things have been done with the DVLA
records, so please don't tell me it's impossible.

Indeed. A personnel colleague [1] of mine works for a major public
authority which has a department specifically to monitor its staff to
check on/prevent them doing exactly that sort of thing under exactly
those circumstances. I'm not usually paranoid about Big Brother but
learning that did give me a bit of a jolt to be honest.

[1] My profession in the days when I had a "proper job".
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk