Old January 5th 06, 10:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
PRAR PRAR is offline

Default Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual travelcard?

DERWENT Is pay-per-use Oystercard cheaper than... an annual
travelcard?
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 00:36:35 -0000, "Chris"

"Arthur Figgis" ] wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 18:11:26 +0000, Paul Corfield
wrote:

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 00:43 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

In article .com,
(Richard Adamfi) wrote:

If you think it is a con, blame the TOCs for not accepting Oyster,
rather than Ken/TfL.

The TOCs were forced by the Government not to adopt Oyster because it was
not Standards-compliant.

This is news to me - where did you get this snippet of information from?

The standards problem has been in the railway press - probably in
Modern Railways and elsewhere.

Also mentioned by the mayor here
http://mqt.london.gov.uk//public/question.do?id=12553. I can see where the
TOC's are coming from on this issue, it seems Livingston is insisting they
pay for the 'retailing and validation capability' of oyster installation in
stations when the dft is developing (presumably still a work in progress) a
separate system for the rest of the UK, which they will be installing a few
years later.

Are there any good reasons for not making Oyster the standard for the
whole of the UK?

Why reinvent the wheel?

PRAR
--
http://www.i.am/prar/ and http://prar.fotopic.net/
As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it. --Dick Cavett