Old January 7th 06, 02:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Chris! Chris! is offline

Default Doors Open

wrote:
On National Rail, some of the latest stock like Class 450 on SWT have
passenger-openable doors which individually close (following the usual
warning bleeps) after a certain time has elapsed, about 30 seconds I
think. This is very useful at a terminus where otherwise the doors
could be open for a long time.

I'm not sure about that. At a terminus, boarding a train at leisure
which is not due to depart for five minutes, surrounded by all kinds of
noise and bleeping from adjacent trains, I have repeatedly had the
doors close on me with no effective warning just as I am getting on.

I don't think that's healthy and safe. Also, the amount of delay seems
to be randomised, because doors which have all been opened at roughly
the same time as the train first arrived close at very different times.

The delay is not randomised. The doors appear to close x seconds after
the last person moved through them either way. This is why they have
infrared sensors just inside (about knee height). The sensor also
seems to be used (in conjunction with the door's pressure sensors) to
reopen the door if someone steps through or it hits someone.

If you are being hit by the doors quite often and, for whatever reason,
can't hear the beeps the I suggest you look at the close button just
inside the train. If the red LEDs are flashing then the door is
closing - press the open button, hit the side of the door or wave your
leg/arm between the sensor and the reflector.

This seems to have been designed with safety in mind

--
Chris