Old January 9th 06, 12:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Jonathan Morris Jonathan Morris is offline

Default The real reasons behind the strike?

DaveyWavey wrote:
So here's a question - does anyone (strikers included) know why the RMT
are holding these strikes? It seems that even the strikers themselves
can't get their story straight.

It seems the strike failed miserably, proving that those people who
didn't turn up are possibly not needed at all. Maybe LUL should
consider getting rid of them to save a few quid?!

I wonder if the union members that supported this action have
considered the long term damage for their careers? Bob Crow doesn't
exactly care; on a nice salary, taking leave when the strike is on (I'm
guessing, I don't actually know where he was - but I bet it was a nice
hotel/beach or whatever) and probably set up for life. If he was
sacked, he'd get a nice golden handshake anyway.

I can only see that most workers were sensible and totally unsupportive
of the pathetic strike. When we travelled in to London on Saturday
(31st), the train company was warning people that there were no tubes.
In that sense, the strike did 'work' as a lot of people would have
stayed away.

We didn't need the tube at Kings Cross, but found it working fine and
used it to Liverpool Street. Maybe the deep level station was closed,
but it didn't seem that anything was going on at all. I felt like
thanking the staff that had turned up, but wondered if they knew the
strike was on either!!

Jonathan