Old January 9th 06, 05:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] Mait001@aol.com is offline

Default The real reasons behind the strike?

I don't condone the strike for one moment.

But, unless and until ticket machines can, for example, at Fulham
Broadway, sell me a return from Zone 2 boundary to Harwich, then the
machines are not covering all of the complicated eventualities that, at
present, require a ticket office. I frequently buy a Zone 1 & 2
Travelcard at my newsagent, but often need an extension as
aforementioned which, at present, machines cannot cope with, especially
if it invoves National Rail.

Why can't the ticket office staff being redeployed (presumably outside
peak hours) be equipped with portable machines like National Rail
travelling ticket inspectors who seem to be able to sell any
combination of tickets on their portable machines for any date up to
364 days in advance, and accept credit cards as well?

Presumably they would howl with resentment at, a) being removed from
their cosy ticket office and b) having the additional duties of
carrying equipment and dealing with the public but, frankly, so what?
We all have aspects of our jobs we don't like, and some of us don't
even get guaranteed pensions and paid leave etc.

Marc.