Old September 12th 03, 08:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Robin Mayes Robin Mayes is offline

Default Good evening ladies and gentlemen

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message

The end of last week, we were all told that we had to precede P.A.

messages
with "Good (morning / afternoon / evening) ladies and gentlemen". By

Monday
it was reduced to "Ladies and gentlemen".

How do you feel about this? Do you think it's a tad Americanised?

Personally, I hate it. It is patronising and pompous. Apart from which,

what
about all of the minors who travel by public transport?

Equally "Good morning, passengers/customers" sounds like a greeting from
"Hi-de-Hi".

There was discussion locally about adding "boys and girls", as was "in the
red corner" and renaming every station "Vietnam" ;-)

How about something like "Good morning/afternoon/evening. The following
train running information is correct as at nn:00 hours. Train services are
currently running as follows. There are delays on the Bakerloo line due to

person under a train at Waterloo." etc etc.?

Trouble is, as service information changes regularly, I'm now spending the
majority of my time telling people there's no service back from Timbuktu
when it' almost always certain that the service will be restored before they
even reach there, let alone decide to come back, that I don't have time to
deal with the 'normal' cancellations which ends with 15-20 minute gaps on
the Circle Line.