Old January 9th 06, 09:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default Moorgate beyond Thameslink

Mark Brader wrote:
Paul Scott:
Is there a suitable/cost effective way of LUL using the additional
spare platforms at Moorgate station once the Thameslink services
no longer use the branch?

"Bob":
Extend the DLR from Bank to Moorgate, Barbican and Farringdon.
Terminate at cross platform interchange on existing LUL carriage
sidings at Farringdon. Direct link from City Airport etc.

"Jonn":
Isn't the DLR at Bank a) too deep, b) facing the wrong way...

I wonder how bad it would be to make it a spiral tunnel, then?
Or a backwards S-shape, since DLR trains can make pretty sharp curves.

(Just musing, not a serious suggestion. If They seriously wanted
to do this extension, They'd ignore Paul's original suggestion and
build the connection to Barbican rather than Moorgate. Cf. Charing
Cross station, Jubilee Line.)

and c) blocked by the bank of England's vaults even if those two
problems could be overcome? ...

Well, I don't know where the vaults lie in relation to the DLR.

Extension of the DLR beyond Bank *is* a serious suggestion, although
very vague - it was mentioned fairly recently to be part of a DLR
"horizon" study for possible long-term expansion of the network, so
they've been looking into it.

However, as others have said, I think it would be far too expensive to
take such a tunnel up to the surface just so it could use the old
Thameslink alignment.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7