Old January 9th 06, 11:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jonathan Morris Jonathan Morris is offline

Default The real reasons behind the strike?

Laurence Payne wrote:
Oyster cards are excellent, although I accept that technically they're
regarded as proprietary, and as such there are a lot of issues/concerns
with the TOCs about their use.

Could you try that again in English please?\

It was. What could you not understand from the above text?

To clarify; the cards apparently aren't 'industry standard' and as such
are seen as proprietary. This can cause problems in the future, with
other examples being the Countdown system used on the buses. Great to
begin with, and be one of the first, but very quickly it's obsolete and
incompatible with new technology.

TOCs have expressed concerns about Oyster, although there are perhaps
many other reasons for not taking Oyster on - and some may well be due
to their peceived losses in revenue. I don't claim to know what all
these issues are.

Finally, I think they're excellent. Hence me saying that from the
outset.

Is that clear now?

Jonathan