Old January 10th 06, 06:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

Default East London Line Rolling Stock Proposals

In message . com of
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 09:00:40 in uk.transport.london, Bob
writes

The Independent archives its material within a short period. I annex
therefore an extensive quotation for the benefit of later discussion.

I much prefer an attributed copy of a URL than a mere reference so
searching a news archive is more effective.

The East London Line is being extended in the north to Dalston and in
the south to West Croydon and Crystal Palace in the first phase of

I saw this the first time and could not understand why the line should
go south to West Croydon and then north to Crystal Palace.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/rail/downloads/pdf/ELLbrochureupdate17.08.pdf
is a 1.05Mb document which is not easily copiable here because it
contains pictures. It shows the "new" stations south of the river are
Brockley, Honor Oak Park, Forest Hill, Sydenham, Penge West, Anerley,
Norwood Junction and West Croydon. There is a spur to Crystal Palace
from Sydenham.

I infer that East Croydon is not served - it is the only Croydon station
I have ever used. It has tram services and good Gatwick Airport
connections. I don't know about trams from other stations served by the
"new" line. OTOH, a recent trip from London Bridge to East Croydon did
go through Norwood Junction. Perhaps I need another diagram.

expansion, scheduled to be completed in 2010. It is the largest
transport infrastructure project in the London Mayor's five-year plan.

I find it depressing it goes from roughly nowhere to roughly nowhere.
I fear I may be dead before CrossRail is built.

[snip]
This had been slated to be completed by 2012. But the timetable is
likely to slip as other infrastructure projects, which will more
directly benefit the Olympic Games, take priority to be completed in
time for 2012.

Infrastructure for a 16 day sporting festival? I am reminded of the 3.5
thousand million pounds spent to serve the obsolete tent at North
Greenwich. (AKA The Millennium Dome
--
Walter Briscoe