Old January 11th 06, 06:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
d d is offline

Default Fascist cyclists

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
d wrote in
:

I hope the cops start some new campaign to stop cyclists riding on the
pavement and blasting through red lights. The number of times I've
seen them endangering lives is ridiculous. Their chicken attitude of
"rather I hit a pedestrian than a car hit me!" is an insult to every
member of the public.

I suggest snipers on every other building. That should do it.

I suggest:

- compulsory third-party insurance for all cyclists (to cover injury to
pedestrians and damage to cars who have to swerve to avoid them when the
cyclists go through red lights or whose cars they scrape as they overtake
illegally on the left coming up to a junction)

I like that idea a lot. If it will financially hurt people to behave like
eejits, maybe their eejit tendancies will dissipate.

- mandatory registration plates at the front and back of all bikes, with
the front number plate parallel with the handlebars (rather than parallel
with the wheel as for motorbikes at present) so it can be read from in
front

I like the idea, but I don't think that would go down too well - that could
be expensive, and require lots of paperwork and the such. I think it would
be good, though, but I can see the uproar from cyclist groups.

As an occasional cyclist, I'd willingly pay a small surcharge for
insurance. Being responsible and considerate, I have never overtaken a
queue of cars on the left (I wait my turn, just like a car, or else I
dismount and walk on the pavement till I get past the obstruction) and I
have never gone through a red traffic light or across a pedestrian
crossing that has people on it. But I think I'm very much in the minority
:-(

From what I see every single day, you are indeed in a minority. Thanks for
being so considerate, though!

dave