Old January 12th 06, 05:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Current strike (8/9) - experiences

Clive D. W. Feather wrote:
I wrote:
Northern Line drivers walk out in defense
of a driver who fell asleep and drove a train at 29mph through a
5mph speed limit.)

All of the drivers I know are pretty sensible people, and I
strongly doubt that they would support someone who was negligent
in their job. So does anyone have the full, detailed, story of
this issue?

I was contacted by somebody who does.

The driver SPADed (though didn't fall asleep, and I don't have a
speed quoted) and was hauled up in front of a disciplinary board.
The board recommended a punishment but a senior person unilaterally
overrode this and decided to sack the person.

So the walk out is not because he was punished for his actions, but
because the proper disciplinary process was not followed.

You say that the board *recommended* punishment. The implication is
that this was a recommendation to a senior person, who had the power to
accept it or take another course of action. In what way was the process
not followed?
--
Richard J.