Old September 13th 03, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
AstraVanMan AstraVanMan is offline

Default Enfield to Putney - which route?

It can be pretty dire. Avoid all day Saturday as the tailbacks going
into
Leytonstone often block the roundabout.

I went from Balham to Enfield to pick up some secondhand doors for the SD1
on a Saturday. I didn't know the best route so went the 'direct' way
through the city and then north through Tottenham. Left Balham at 12.30
and got back about 6.30, this time using the North Circular to Hanger
Lane. Could have easily got to Edinburgh by then.

That was using the A406 on the way back then, was it? Absolute PITA, that
section. I've pretty much got it sorted as far as avoiding the bad bits - I
normally get off just before the Clockhouse Junction, then cut across Green
Lanes, up to Bounds Green Road, back on the NCR there, and off onto the
A1000, and then through East Finchley, Hampstead Garden Suburb, and Temple
Fortune, before getting back on just after the A1 junction. Hence why I go
the other way. Not completely sure of traffic flows around Docklands on a
Saturday, but can't imagine it'd be too bad - I reckon the best way would be
A24/A3 to the Elehpant and Castle, around to Tower Bridge, then up the
Highway, Limehouse Link/Aspen Way, then A12 / A406.

Peter