Old January 13th 06, 03:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Tim O'Toole

wrote:
So this
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4608578.stm is
announced on the same day that it is announced that Tim O'toole
gets a CBE.

Tim O'Toole's *honorary* CBE (he can't get a full CBE as he is not a
British citizen) was announced with the New Year Honours on 31 December.

Exactly what was the CBE for, not doing the job he is
very well paid to do by any chance.

Officially "for services to transport and the community". According to
the BBC report on 31 December, he "was made an honorary CBE for leading
the Tube management's response to the attacks" on 7th July. Many people
get honours not only for doing the job they are paid to do, but also for
doing it in a way that makes a real difference to the wider community.
From all that I have read and heard, Tim O'Toole's leadership of his
staff in LU was inspirational in recognising those who bore the brunt of
the front-line trauma, and in organising and motivating everyone to get
the network back in operation again. A well-deserved honour in my view,
though it's part of a flawed honours system.

I'm not sure what your point is in relation to ASLEF's threat of
industrial action, but if O'Toole is standing up to the unions'
knee-jerk reactions to anything they don't like, good luck to him. I'd
be interested to understand what exactly is behind the ASLEF ballot, as
their press release, on which the BBC report is based, is full of
generalisations ("failure to resolve issues around 'harassment,
discipline, attendance, negotiations and health and safety'").

--
Richard J.