Old January 13th 06, 08:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Tim O'Toole

On 13 Jan 2006 17:21:29 GMT, Adrian wrote:

Paul Corfield ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

Tim is the only MD I have worked for who I feel is true leader - i.e.
someone who knows where he wants to go and you feel you want to go with
him. You only have to listen to him speak.

I remember seeing him briefly on the telly in a newsagent as I bought
some water for the (long) walk home on 7 July - he was speaking sense
and I felt very proud on what was a traumatic day.

Excellent. So LU has an MD who is actually competent at his job and worth
his salary. But does that mean he should get a fairly serious gong for
doing his job? Yes, very unusual and testing circumstances - but I would
imagine they were a damn sight more testing for a lot of the staff who
didn't get gongs.

So the answer is what exactly? Give them to no one. give them to
everyone who was involved in some way no matter how small, give them to
everyone who went down the tunnels or tended the injured? Care to give
me (and the group) an answer?

Tim is not alone in getting an award re 7/7. Plenty of LU / LT / TfL
staff at all levels have received awards over the years for all sorts of
acts and services. Are all those undeserved?

If you believe the honours system should not exist then that is a
separate argument.

I find the apparent - I can't be bothered to read RMT's website - use of
the honours awards as some sort of "class war" invective behind a
seeming half arsed dispute distasteful in the extreme. No one who
worked for LU that day was unaffected in the same way that no one was
unaffected by the Kings Cross fire. To seek to belittle or deride the
granting of honours to some people who got stuck in is just petty.
People should remember that we had almost all the network back at full
operation the day after the bombings which was no small feat and I
believe resulting directly from Tim's leadership.

--
Paul C