Old January 13th 06, 08:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default Tim O'Toole

Paul Corfield ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

Excellent. So LU has an MD who is actually competent at his job and
worth his salary. But does that mean he should get a fairly serious
gong for doing his job? Yes, very unusual and testing circumstances -
but I would imagine they were a damn sight more testing for a lot of
the staff who didn't get gongs.

So the answer is what exactly?

I don't know.

Give them to no one

No. Many people deserved recognition, and they're the way that our country
recognises exceptional contribution.

give them to everyone who was involved in some way no matter how small,

Impossible.

give them to everyone who went down the tunnels or tended the injured?

There's far more than just those who deserve recognition - and many of
those who did were indeed "just doing their job". Sorry, paramedics, but
it's what you're paid to do.

Tim is not alone in getting an award re 7/7. Plenty of LU / LT / TfL
staff at all levels have received awards over the years for all sorts
of acts and services. Are all those undeserved?

Of course not.

If you believe the honours system should not exist then that is a
separate argument.

As it happens, I don't. It's not perfect, but it's an order of magnitude
form being as bad as many make out.

I find the apparent - I can't be bothered to read RMT's website - use
of the honours awards as some sort of "class war" invective behind a
seeming half arsed dispute distasteful in the extreme.

As do I - and I'm *FAR* from a "class warrior"...

To seek to belittle or deride the granting of honours to some people who
got stuck in is just petty.

Not what I'm doing at all.

People should remember that we had almost all the network back at full
operation the day after the bombings which was no small feat and I
believe resulting directly from Tim's leadership.

Good. It's his job. If he hadn't, his future in the job should have been
SERIOUSLY questioned..