Old January 17th 06, 05:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default More aural intrusion

wrote:
Not content with the awful beeps and robot-voices on most LU rolling
stock, TfL are now extending this intrusion to buses (already
blessed with "DOORS OPENING", "DOORS CLOSING" messages ad infinitum
on some routes).

Any chance if a 'quiet' deck; and when all vehicles are supposed to
be so-fitted, will buses be cut if the equipment fails, as per
wheelchair ramps?

I assume you're referring to the news that buses will have recorded
announcements telling passengers the name of the next/current stop.
This is excellent news. It's not "aural intrusion" like the silly
"doors opening" messages. It will be of enormous help to thousands of
passengers who are either not familiar with the route or are travelling
at night, especially a cold wet night when it can be difficult to
recognise where you are even if you know the area. Also, I don't find
the mere announcement of a station on the tube, or a bus stop on Paris
buses, at all intrusive. Oh, and it's not a robot-voice; it's a real
person who faces the daunting task of recording 18,000 bus stop names.
--
Richard J.