Old January 18th 06, 09:38 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default More HEX Shenanigans - ripoff Britain?

Mikael Armstrong wrote:
"d" wrote in message
. ..
"John Rowland" wrote in message
"Ian F." wrote in message
"d" wrote in message
. ..

I think you've completely misunderstood what
tfl and HEX were doing that day. No wonder
the ticket agents laughed at you it's very funny.
He's just so typical of anyone who loves
to yell 'rip-off' at every possible opportunity.
He's right!

HEX is not a philanthropic society - it's there to make
money for its shareholders and to pay its staff.
HEx were presumably paid for all of the passengers who would use
travelcards
on that day, but then chose to lie to passengers in order to get more
money
from them.

Business is business
Obtaining money by deception is not called "business", it's called
"fraud".

They weren't deceiving anyone. The use of travelcards was permitted on

the
service - travelcards didn't replace the HEX tickets.

I don't see why people are complaining they were allowed to travel on an
fast, expensive train for the cost of an underground ticket. No-one was
ripped off, no-one was defrauded. Some people just got a really good

value
ticket, while others paid the correct fare. No-one was charged over the
fare - I don't get what the problem is.

Can't you? The first choice cheaper route was closed. so there was no
alternative. All these rail services are operated with a subsidy from the
tax payer, so they should be a public service. Public services should be
operated in the interests of the public. Having private companies run a
service without competition is a farce.

Actually, I don't think HEx receives any subsidy from the tax payer -
its construction and running costs were/are entirely funded by BAA, as
it's an "open access" operator.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7