Old January 18th 06, 12:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london
d d is offline

Default More HEX Shenanigans - ripoff Britain?

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
In message , Ian F.
writes
"d" wrote in message
. uk...

Of course, dropping the "road" changes things considerably. "Essex
Road" becomes "Essex", which is an entirely different kettle of fish

I know why visitors from the US do it; as pointed out elsewhere, they do
it at home. But it really annoys me because of the confusion it causes.
When in Rome.......

Meeting someone on the corner of Oxford and Tottenham becomes something of
a challenge! ;-)

Regular utl readers might remember my tale of some Americans I met some
years ago in Oxford who were looking for Selfridges. After a great deal
of discussion and confusion, I eventually ascertained that they were
staying in London, had been wandering around Hyde Park looking for
"Oxford" (ie Oxford Street) and some helpful passer-by had managed to put
them on the Oxford Tube coach which stops at Marble Arch. An hour and a
half later (but bizarrely not really seeming to think that anything was
amiss) they arrived at Gloucester Green Bus Station and.......

Hahahaha! That's so unfortunate and incredibly funny hahahaha! I do
try to help my friends who I find dropping "street". It's nothing but
trouble

--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK