Old January 18th 06, 12:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london
Bob Wood Bob Wood is offline

Default More HEX Shenanigans - ripoff Britain?

In ,
Ian Jelf typed:

In message , Ian F.
writes
"d" wrote in message

Of course, dropping the "road" changes things considerably. "Essex
Road" becomes "Essex", which is an entirely different kettle of
fish

I know why visitors from the US do it; as pointed out elsewhere, they
do it at home. But it really annoys me because of the confusion it
causes. When in Rome.......

Meeting someone on the corner of Oxford and Tottenham becomes
something of a challenge! ;-)

Regular utl readers might remember my tale of some Americans I met
some years ago in Oxford who were looking for Selfridges. After a
great deal of discussion and confusion, I eventually ascertained that
they were staying in London, had been wandering around Hyde Park
looking for "Oxford" (ie Oxford Street) and some helpful passer-by
had managed to put them on the Oxford Tube coach which stops at
Marble Arch. An hour and a half later (but bizarrely not really
seeming to think that anything was amiss) they arrived at Gloucester
Green Bus Station and.......

So if they arrived at Gloucester, how did they turn up in Oxford? I
don't seem to be following this very well.
:-)

Bob