Old January 18th 06, 04:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jonathan Morris Jonathan Morris is offline

Default CCTV

David wrote:
most images I've seen in the newspapers don't convince me
they're an effective deterrant.

I don't think CCTV is an effective deterrant at all. It either moves
crime elsewhere, or has people carry on as normal knowing that the
footage is either unusable, not real (fake cameras, faulty equipment)
and there's now less chance of a real person of authority being
employed.

Whatever the Government might say, crime is going up (particularly
assaults on staff) and CCTV is everywhere. If it was a deterrant, we'd
be seeing MASSIVE reductions in crime.

Rather like speed cameras replacing real police on the roads, it
doesn't work and only now are we starting to fully notice and
appreciate that.

Jonathan