Old January 18th 06, 07:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Underwood Martin Underwood is offline

Default Is it correct to use 999 in this case...?

Steve wrote in
:

On 18/1/06 19:51, in article
, "Martin
Underwood" wrote:

Steve wrote in
:

TBH, I don't even know if the H.A. have a number to call in cases
like this and I find any advice on their website.

Oops ... I *can't* find any advice ... !!!

... Maybe you
should have stopped at a motorway phone and used that instead to
report the debris.

Good point. I've never had to use one of those phones, and I've always
wondered given the amount of traffic on the M25 at 6.00pm whether
you'd be able to hear the person on the other end!

The only time I've used a motorway-style phone was on the Marlow Bypass
(A404 between M40 and M4) to report a car that appeared to have broken down
in Lane 1 at night and had no lights or advance warning triangle. As such,
it was an accident waiting to happen. I had to struggle to hear and to make
myself heard and understood: the operator (as so often when reporting
emergencies) had great difficulty working out where I was referring to, even
though I said something fairly unambiguous like "it's on the southbound
carriageway of the A404, 0.8 miles north of this phone which is 12345".