Old January 18th 06, 07:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london
asdf asdf is offline

Default More HEX Shenanigans - ripoff Britain?

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 10:38:08 +0000, Dave Arquati
wrote:

Actually, I don't think HEx receives any subsidy from the tax payer -
its construction and running costs were/are entirely funded by BAA, as
it's an "open access" operator.

It might do, indirectly. It uses Network Rail tracks on the GWML, but
doesn't have to pay the full maintenance costs for this track -
Network Rail does, and *is* subsidised by the taxpayer. I suppose it
would depend on whether the track access charges paid by HEx, FGW,
etc, for accessing this stretch of track are enough to cover all its
maintenance costs.