Old September 14th 03, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
AstraVanMan AstraVanMan is offline

Default Enfield to Putney - which route?

nmtop40 wrote:
My immediate instinct is to go down the A10 until Seven Sisters, then
the A503 through Camden, towards and around Regents Park into Baker
Street, right into Marylebone Road, left into Old Marylebone Road and
across into Sussex Gardens, left into Sussex Place eventually through
Hyde Park, across Kensington Gore, right into Prince Consort Road and
eventually cross the A4 at Gloucester Road, leading to Cranley Gardens
and Elm Park Gardens until you get to Kings Road where I turn right
until I reach Putney Bridge.

Cheers for that - variations on the A10 / A503 route seem quite popular -
I'm guessing the A10 is quite quiet coming into town in the evening rush
hour. Follows the general theory that most people are coming out of town in
the evening. Certainly worked a while back when I had a drop in Temple
Fortune and then a few in town - I just flew down the Finchley Road.

Unfortunately that was the theory I worked on choosing the A13 in the route
I took - I avoided the A12 due to the inevitable massive queues at that
junction, and from that point of view I made the right choice - the queuing
at the end of the A406 to get onto the A13 was pretty much non-existent.

Shame I didn't think of a route similar to yours as I'm reasonably familiar
with the streets that cross over Fulham Road + Kings Road, though I probably
would have either gone through Hammersmith and up Fulham Palace Road, or
North End Road and Fulham Road, as Kings Road is an absolute PITA at the
moment with all the roads around the gas works being shut - the queues up to
Wandsworth Bridge Road are a nightmare at the moment - even joining Kings
Road at 1927 from Lots Road it took me until 1950 to get to my destination
in Putney.

I could well have been better off going over Battersea Bridge and possibly
even coming back over Wandsworth Bridge, or just through Wandsworth, which
is normally busy, but never at a standstill for too long (I hesitate to use
the word 'flowing'). But when I went that way the other day I wanted to
turn right onto Westbridge Road (the road that leads up to the heliport) but
it's a banned right turn - does anyone know if it's possible to turn right
onto Battersea Church Road ??

Peter