Old January 18th 06, 09:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Underwood Martin Underwood is offline

Default Is it correct to use 999 in this case...?

Jack Taylor wrote in
:

Martin Underwood wrote:

I would have phoned 999: you were averting a potential accident.
Maybe you should have stopped at a motorway phone and used that
instead to report the debris. However if the debris had been on a
non-motorway road such as a dual-carriageway you wouldn't have had
that option and 999 would have been the only realistic option.

I've never understood why we don't have a 'serious but not emergency'
number to call in this country, something like 888 would be logical.
I believe that that idea has been discussed and may be implemented in
the future, although I believe that they are going to use something
far less easy to remember, like 112 or something.

Yes I don't understand why there wasn't an 888 set up at the same time as
999. Instead they've only recently started giving police forces 0845 xxxxxx
numbers - but they are not the same throughout teh country so if you're
travelling, you've no idea which numebr to ring.