Old January 18th 06, 11:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
peter peter is offline

Default Is it correct to use 999 in this case...?

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message
Martin Underwood wrote:

I would have phoned 999: you were averting a potential accident.
Maybe you should have stopped at a motorway phone and used that
instead to report the debris. However if the debris had been on a
non-motorway road such as a dual-carriageway you wouldn't have had
that option and 999 would have been the only realistic option.

I've never understood why we don't have a 'serious but not emergency'
number
to call in this country, something like 888 would be logical. I believe
that
that idea has been discussed and may be implemented in the future,
although
I believe that they are going to use something far less easy to remember,
like 112 or something.

112 is the universal GSM emergency number. I believe it works on all GSM
mobile phones around the world.
For landlines our emergency number is 000, but I believe 911 will sometimes
work (because kids sometimes think that is the number because of America TV
shows)

Peter
Sydney