Old January 19th 06, 09:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Jack Taylor Jack Taylor is offline

Default Is it correct to use 999 in this case...?

Ken wrote:

Ofcom has just consulted on this. See
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/condocs/snen/#content.

Thanks for that. I knew that they were up to something!

I don't agree with them, though, that 101 is an easy number to dial in such
circumstances - especially for the visually impaired. It requires finger
movement from the top to the bottom of the keypad and back again, giving two
likelihoods of a misdial as opposed to one if a single-digit three-digit
number is used (if you follow that!). Even for those with good vision it can
be difficult to navigate a keypad in poor lighting conditions or without
keypad backlighting. I wonder if the RNIB were consulted and their input
considered.