Old January 19th 06, 10:19 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london
d d is offline

Default More HEX Shenanigans - ripoff Britain?

wrote in message
d wrote:

Can't see how they are not telling pokies on the days in quest ion.
The infoirmation on the sign is wrong - end of story.

But it's not important.

Of course it's important. It's important to any passenger who reads the
sign, believes what it says, and ends up either getting a slow bus into
London or buying a HEX ticket despite already having a valid Travelcard.

But TfL would have told the customers that their cards are valid. That's
the important part.

The ticket inspector isn't going to look at
that sign for whether he should accept TfL cards or not, is he?

Who mentioned ticket inspectors? They've got nothing to do with it. The
sign is there for the passengers, not the ticket inspectors. And it's
giving wrong information to the passengers. Are you saying that's a good
thing?

Ticket inspectors have everything to do with it, as they are the people who
would charge TfL card-carriers if they didn't know the rules.

I think they may be in breach of the laws governing advertising and
sales. The Trades Description Act may have a bearing.

Nope. Unfortunately it doesn't. If the ticket inspector said that,
then yes, but a sign - nope.

Are you sure? Can you quote the relevant section of the Trades
Descriptions Act? I'd love to know where it mentions that ticket
inspectors are the only legal source of information about ticket
validity. Especially since you shouldn't normally see a ticket inspector
until AFTER you've bought a ticket.

The ticket inspectors are the people who would tell you whether your ticket
is valid or not. They are the agents of the company, they are the people
executing company policy, not the sign.

Which all goes to confirm that the HEX have misled the public. The
signs may be for information but they have to be accurate.

They should be accurate, but they don't legally have to be. There is
no law demanding 100% accurate signage.

The s15(4) Theft Act 1968 defines the Criminal Deception as, "any
deception (whether deliberate or reckless) by words or conduct as to
fact or as to law, including a deception as to the present intentions of
the person using the deception or any other person." IANAL but I think
this might qualify.

IANAL but I don't think it qualifies at all. Fair enough if the ticket
inspector said "No, sorry, your TfL travel card is not valid, I'm going to
ask you to buy a HEx ticket or leave". As, after all, the sign isn't
forcing anyone to do anything. The ticket inspectors do that.