Old January 20th 06, 06:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Aidan Stanger Aidan Stanger is offline

Default Is it correct to use 999 in this case...?

Martin Underwood wrote:

Jack Taylor wrote in
:

Martin Underwood wrote:

I would have phoned 999: you were averting a potential accident.
Maybe you should have stopped at a motorway phone and used that
instead to report the debris. However if the debris had been on a
non-motorway road such as a dual-carriageway you wouldn't have had
that option and 999 would have been the only realistic option.

I've never understood why we don't have a 'serious but not emergency'
number to call in this country, something like 888 would be logical.
I believe that that idea has been discussed and may be implemented in
the future, although I believe that they are going to use something
far less easy to remember, like 112 or something.

Yes I don't understand why there wasn't an 888 set up at the same time as
999. Instead they've only recently started giving police forces 0845 xxxxxx
numbers - but they are not the same throughout teh country so if you're
travelling, you've no idea which numebr to ring.

888 would be an incredibly stupid choice, as it would've restricted the
number of potential phone numbers available even more - it would be even
worse than the present situation where Londoners (and probably also the
rest of the country) have one too many digits...

The sensible alternative would be 911, as nearly everyone already knows
it by now.

--
Aidan Stanger
http://www.bettercrossrail.co.uk