Old January 21st 06, 12:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Peter Masson Peter Masson is offline

Default Verney Junction diversion

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message
Verney Junction diversion
"subterraneo" wrote in

message
. uk...
Had an email from a Geoff Cole about a Verney Junction diversion in the

70s. Perhaps someone knows the date of this and could help (him) out?

Verney Junction was long gone by then. I suspect that you mean Claydon

L&NE
Junction (where the Aylesbury line diverges from the Oxford line). I do
recall reading about this myself so I'll try and ferret out some
information, if I can find it!

At that time the line between Bletchley and Claydon LNE Junction was in use
for freight, and the line from Claydon to Aylesbury still is (see the
the Bletchley - Claydon (- Bicester - Oxford) line on a special train on a
Network Day around 1990. By then it was not possible for a train going that
way to call at Bletchley, as the only access was via the flyover. The line
is curtrently unusable, but AIUI still owned by Network Rail and could be
reinstated if required. One proposal that is not entirely dead is to use it
as part of a new East - West rail route (e.g. Felixstowe - Bristol).

Peter