Old January 22nd 06, 07:43 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Ronnie Clark Ronnie Clark is offline

Default Verney Junction diversion (Actually a Claydon LNE / Calvert diversion!)

"TheOneKEA" wrote in message
ups.com...
Stimpy wrote:
On 21/1/06 16:02, "Ronnie Clark" wrote:

A map showing the approximate layout of the region before

rationalization:
http://www.blugman.freeserve.co.uk/calvertmap.jpg

These photos, taken on May 14th 2005:
http://www.blugman.freeserve.co.uk/calvert1.jpg
http://www.blugman.freeserve.co.uk/calvert2.jpg
http://www.blugman.freeserve.co.uk/calvert3.jpg

Nice one!! For the first time, the modern layout at Calvert makes sense

me. Thanks ;-)

I presume then that the spur to Claydon LN&E Junction is nominally
intact to allow the refuse trains to be propelled into the down siding
and thence to the pits, correct? I had heard that some of the rails on
the mothballed line between Bicester and Bletchley had been stolen.

Theoretically, Bicester to Bletchley is "open" (in the same way that
Loughborough to Ruddington was "open". The fact that in the Bletchley area
some lengths of rail were stolen, and then another section was relayed to a
different alignment (both actions therefore rendering the line
discontinuous) is neither here nor there

Certainly Bicester to Claydon is open in a more proper sense as trains still
pass that way to and from Calvert.

I just posted these links elsewhere, but what the hell, I'm feeling
dangerous... I got very bored and went "Google Earth"ing. I probably
shouldn't post this and if GE complain I'll take them down:

http://www.blugman.freeserve.co.uk/grn-ash.jpg (120k)
http://www.blugman.freeserve.co.uk/calvertarea.jpg (600k)

The first is Grendon Underwood to Ashendon Junctions, the second is more
generally the area around Calvert / Quainton Road / Verney Junction,
including the Ashendon line as far as Akeman Street.

--
Ronnie