Old January 22nd 06, 12:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Guy Gorton Guy Gorton is offline

Default Verney Junction diversion (Actually a Claydon LNE / Calvert diversion!)

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 16:02:21 -0000, "Ronnie Clark"
rve.co.uk wrote:

A map showing the approximate layout of the region before rationalization:
http://www.blugman.freeserve.co.uk/calvertmap.jpg
(Note for pedants, whilst lines are colour coded by original builders, the
spur between Claydon LNE and Calvert Junctions was a WWII innovation, and
not built by any of the original companies!)

What an invitation for pedantry! The stretch from Verney Jct to
Aylesbury was not 'originally' Metropolitan but was the Aylesbury and
Buckingham Railway (worked by the GWR). Stayed that way from 1868
until 1892 when the Met reached Aylesbury and took over the A&B.

Nice pictures, BTW - if I can find some slides I took at Calvert quite
recently of the detail of a binliner being discharged, I will scan and
put them on the web..

These photos, taken on May 14th 2005, show the area of Calvert as it is in
recent times:
http://www.blugman.freeserve.co.uk/calvert1.jpg
http://www.blugman.freeserve.co.uk/calvert2.jpg
http://www.blugman.freeserve.co.uk/calvert3.jpg

In calvert1.jpg, the main running line on the right (formerly the "up" GC
line) is shown heading away north-west from Calvert station's over-bridge
(ie, towards Sheffield in old money). You'll note that in the far distance,
it suddenly veers to the right, snaking out of sight. This was the site of
Calvert Junction, the GC line previously carrying straight on to cross the
Bletchley-Oxford line. The ground-frame in the mid-ground allows the
bin-liner trains to crossover to what remains of the former "down" line,
which is now basically the refuse depot.

Guy Gorton