Old January 22nd 06, 01:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] newsgroups@garethdavis.net is offline

Default More aural intrusion

wrote:
Not content with the awful beeps and robot-voices on most LU rolling
stock, TfL are now extending this intrusion to buses (already blessed

I noticed last week that the DLR has started rolling out automatic
announcements on its trains. This is a good idea because some trains
captains are better than others at remembering to give interchange
announcements etc. But it would be nice if they had kept the
announcements short and simple rather then announcing train
destination, next station, interchange information or other 'alight
for' places for the next station then reminding us to take our
belongings with us when leaving the train on the approach to every
station. Do we really need reminding at nearly every single station?

The voice doesn't sound especially cheerful either, and you get to hear
it quite a bit on your journey. The train captains I have spoken to
about it have said that they have had a lot of negative comments about
how intrusive it is, and they are not exactly thrilled by having to
listen to it for 4 hours themselves!

--
Gareth Davis